top of page


What is Public Housing?

Public Housing is a federally funded rental assistance program that is located ONLY in the city limits of Fairmont. The FMHA is the landlord. Your rental assistance is directly tied to the unit you are assigned and does not transfer when you move.

All program participants are required to pay 30% of their monthly income towards their own rent

Please note: Public Housing has a $50 minimum rent requirement.

Who can apply to Public Housing?

The KHA accepts applications from everyone. Applicants are screened according to HUD and Housing Authority policy. Applicants will submit to criminal, credit, sex offender, and landlord background checks. Eligibility will then be determined after all factors are considered.

Do I have to have income in order to be eligible for Public Housing?

Yes. You must have income of some sort, because you must be able to at least pay minimum rent.

This could be any or all of the following: employment income, child support, social security, TANF, and odd jobs paid in cash.

What are the income guidelines?

Based on Median income limits of Edwards County

Percentage 1 person2 person

Below 50%$12,850$16,460



Can I be over income?

Yes. If accepted you will pay flat rent. Current flat rent monthly charges are:

0 bedroom (Efficiency) = $409

1 bedroom = $426

Large 1 bedroom = $485

2 bedroom = $558

How do I apply for the Public Housing program?

You may obtain an application for the Public Housing program by clicking on the application tab on the top left corner of the page. If you choose to get the application here on the web site you must first print it. The application can NOT be submitted electronically. You can mail, fax, or drop off your application to our office. The Housing Authority's contact information is located on the first page of the application and on the contact page.

You may also pick up an application from our our office located at 210 W 9th St., Kinsley, KS. If you need further assistance please contact us at 620-659-2602.

What happens after I complete an application for Public Housing?

Your application needs to be completely filled out with ALL requested information and returned to our office. If we receive an application that is not completely filled out with ALL requested information, it may be sent back to you for your completion, which could delay you being placed on the waiting list.

You may bring your application to our office, you may mail it back in, or you may fax it to us. (If you choose to fax it please make sure you fax all pages, front and back)

Physical & Mailing Address:  210 W. 9th St.,  Kinsley, KS 67547

Phone and Fax Number:  620-659-2602

E-mail Address:

Once your completed application has been received at the Housing Authority office you will then be placed on the waiting list according to the date and time your application was received and any preferences that may apply to the household.

Preferences are given to elderly, disabled, and single adults. Other preferences considered priority are those living in substandard housing and homeless.

Once this has been done you will remain on our waiting list until your name reaches the top.

It is your responsibility to report any changes in your household while you are on the waiting list. Examples of changes that need to be reported are: your address, your phone number, you or your co-head start or loose employment, etc.

I am on the waiting list and have a change of information; do I need to report it?

Yes! It is very important that you let us know of any updated information while your name is on the waiting list.

We communicate by letter and telephone. If we are trying to contact you and don't hear from you within 10 days we will consider your file closed. Your name will then be removed from the waiting list and you will have to apply again.

Since the Public Housing program requires income we will also need to have updated information if you loose or gain employment.

Where are the Public Housing units located?

210 W 9th St. Kinsley KS 67547. Corner of 9th St and Massachusetts.

Can I refuse a unit that is shown to me?

Yes. You can refuse two (2) times. After that your file is considered closed and you must reapply to the program.

Who pays for the utilities?

KHA pays all utilities, with the exception of Cable TV, Phone, and internet. Cable TV and Internet are available at extra cost, but at a discounted rate. Phone is fully tenant’s responsibility.

Is there a security deposit?

Yes, the security deposit is $150.00. If hardship is determined a payment plan may be arranged.

What amenities are provided?

  • A range (stove), refrigerator, are included with each unit.
  • On-site storage bins are available, residents are given one unit, if more are needed, it is a first come first serve basis. 
  • Free reserved parking is available to all resident with a vehicle. One parking space provided per apartment.
  • On-site maintenance is provided along with lawn service, snow removal, and monthly exterminating services.
  • On-site services: laundry facilities open 24/7, craft room, and library
  • Outdoor picnic patio and community garden
  • Indoor sunroom, and common area living room

Can I have pets?

Yes, but you must pay a $150 non-refundable pet deposit. Limit of one pet and cannot be over 20lbs. Must have documentation showing that the pet is spayed/neutered and all shots are up to date.

Are any preferences given to applicants of Public Housing?

Yes, local preferences are looked at and placed first. Elderly, Disabled, and single adults. Other preferences that may be considered as priority are those living in substandard housing or homeless.

If I have a maintenance issue who do I call?

For maintenance issues, tenants of the Public Housing units can fill out a repair request, located outside the office or call our main office from 9:00am to 5:00pm, Monday to Friday at 620-659-2602.

If it is a non-emergency and after hours please fill out a repair request and we will get back to you when maintenance is on shift.

For emergencies ONLY that are after hours or on weekends, tenants can call maintenance staff directly. Phone numbers are listed on the office window, by the door.

bottom of page